Sunday, January 11, 2009

We had a scare but all is well now....

Big Sister Eva


Daddy Kangaroo Caring Parker


Mommy Kangaroo caring Dahlia


The other night we had quite a scare with Madelyn! We were picking up my mom from the airport and we were going to visit the babies after that. We were on the way to the hospital and Dr. Reddy (the babies' doctor) called my phone. She told me that Madelyn had a pretty bad episode. There were some triplets being born and Dr. Reddy got a call from Madelyn's nurse to come immediately. Madelyn's heart rate dropped into the 50's and she had blood pooling in the back of her throat! We didnt know if it was from her lungs but that was the doctor's guess. I was freaking out!!! We arrived at the hospital pretty much right at the point when the doctor was done telling me what happened. We rushed up to the NICU to find Madelyn not doing so hot. She was on 100% oxygen and the doctor was at her bedside. She explained the situation and Trever and I were losing it. Dr. Reddy told us that she might die. So we stayed at the hospital for a long time that night. While we were there, Madelyn became stable and went all the way down to 30% oxygen. She started looking better but right before we left her blood came back positive for an infection! We were devastated. We wouldnt know the results of what kind of infection it was for 2 more days. We were exhausted both physically and emotionally. We went home and slept with all of our phones within arms reach. Needless to say we didnt get much sleep that night!

That was Wednesday and since then things have been going alot better! The results from Madelyn's blood test came back negative for any infection so that was really really great! The doctors have decided that there was probably some skin that had attatched to her oxygen tube and while the nurse was changing her diaper, it probably made it bleed. That was the best case scenario! We are so relieved that it looks minor!

Everyone else is doing well. All the children had a PDA (patent ductis arteriosis). This is pretty common in micro preemies. It is where the valve that connects the two chambers of the heart doesnt fully close. (It usually closes a couple of hours after birth in full term babies) So Dahlia, Parker and Preston were taking Indocin ( a medication to close this valve). It closed in all of the babies so we are really glad the medication did the trick and they didnt have to go into surgery!

All of the babies have been gaining weight and Preston has now surpassed 2 pounds!!! Most of the babies are on antibiotics because their white blood cell counts are high. Sometimes this can be indicative of an infection so we are being extra careful....

They all can open their eyes and they love to do so when we are there! We got to kangaroo care Parker and Dahlia the other day for an hour. This is where we get to hold the babies skin to skin on our chest for an hour (at least). It was really amazing and both of the babies loved it! We are hoping to be able to do this with the other two very very soon!

Well I think that is the update for now! Thanks again for all of the prayers!!!

20 comments:

The Cochran Crew said...

So glad everything is going well! Seeing the NICU number on your phone will always make your heart drop. Hope you never get a bad call again!! You're in our prayers!

unzen said...

So glad that the babies seem to be doing so well. I pray they will have a speedy recovery and grow fast. God Bless your family.
unzensr6-animals.blogspot.com

jag said...

Oh goodness! You sure have been through it. I'll be sending lots of prayers your way. Thank you so much for the update. I know it's difficult to make time for blogging when so much is going on.

debi9kids said...

OMG0sh! How scary. I have been thinking of you all and praying for your dear little ones.
Many blessings.
~Debi

Suzanne said...

omg woman! my heart was beating fast just READING that! i cannot imagine the fear. ugh. i can't wait until you guys are out of the NICU phase! it gets better and better! so hang in there! you have lots of people cheering you on!

Terri said...

Glad to hear that they are all doing so well (minus the little scare). I will continue to pray for all of them!

Anonymous said...

So happy Madelyn is such a fighter!!
I know its draining but you can do it!!
You look great and how awesome is kangaroo care!! XOXO

Stephanie said...

How scary, but it just proves God is good!
Thanks for sharing your life with us (good and scary times)
You are all still in my prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so glad to hear Madelyn is doing well! Thats so cool yall got to hold them, that must of been amazing!

Four babies 4 us said...

That had to be terribly scary for you. Thank God that all is well. Having 4 preemies will certainly test your sanity. Stay close to the man upstairs, He will get you through.
Michelle

Claire said...

Hi, this is Claire, Brian's niece.. I'm glad your babies have been making such good progress and are doing well! I have enjoyed all the pictures of their little tiny-ness! They are so cute! I hope they continue with their progress & keep up with the updates!

~Amber~ said...

Oh my gosh! I was crying just reading this update! I can't imagine how scared you both were!!! My family is still praying like crazy for the quads and you both and Eva. You are in our thoughts constantly. Take care, Amber

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so thrilled to hear that Madelyn is doing better. Dr. Reddy was Nolan's, and my neice, Braylee's doctor! SHE IS SO GREAT! I know you and your babies are in wonderful hands, as she is so passionate about her patients! Big hugs to you you guys and those precious miracles!

Becky said...

Thinking of you and those sweet little babies, Jenna! I'm glad to hear that the bleed was probably caused by something minor. Stay strong, Momma!!

Two Drty Lil' Hands said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the horrible scare, and am so thankful she is doing better now. I think about you guys everyday and all SEVEN of you are in our prayers each day! Love you!

Jac Tubre said...

Oh my goodness! Those NICU days will put gray hairs on your head, but it will be over with before you know it. You are in our prayers.

Jac

Alisha said...

I am so glad that everything is going well for you guys. Your pictures brought me to tears. I remember being in the NICO kangaroo caring my twins. Such fond memories. The connection is something you will never forget. My girls are 2.5 years old, and thinking back, I will never forget the warmth that came over me in those moments of contact. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Ticey said...

so glad to hear that things are going well! You continue to be in my prayers!

Queen of pink in a house of blue said...

I couldn't read on quick enough to find out the outcome! thank God!
I have heard such wonderful things about kangaroo care!
we weren't allowed to do it with our NICU baby...and i was so upset!
it sounds like you have 4 little fighters on your hands!
i will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers that they continue to do well!

Anonymous said...

Hello King Family,
This is the Demaria Quad Grandma Mitzi checking on your family. We are so happy for you and want you to know you are in all of our prayers as you journey thru this first part. We are excited for you and know that you will be blessed along this way! Keep smiling! We are with you!