To some of you this post might seem like we are overreacting or not being realistic. Those of you who have had children in the NICU will probably be able to empathize with our level of concern and sadness. If you have been following our blog, you will see that last week Eva was exposed to RSV. She seemed to be getting better but then suddenly took a turn for the worse. Today we decided to take her in to the doc since her cough and runny nose had gotten pretty bad. After swabbing her nose he positively identified her condition as RSV and not a common cold. This is particularly upsetting because this virus is very contagious, agressive, and fatal to our babies in the NICU. Eva is expected to overcome it, but the quads would have a very hard time if they contracted it. To make matters extremely worse, we have been told we can finally hold our sweet baby Preston! But, since we have RSV in our home, we now cannot hold any of them for another 2 to 3 weeks! BREAKS OUR HEARTS!!!! Not only can we not hold them, none of our family members that are around Eva can hold them either! Jenna's mom from Washington is coming this weekend and she is crushed.
It has been a tough week. And such an eye opener.......The babies have done really well and we feel so lucky EVERYTHING hasnt come crashing down. For all of our friends that feel like we have abandoned them over the past 7 months, we are sorry you feel that way. Jenna was literally confined to a couch, not able to lift a finger, not able to be a mother the way she used to be, not able to be the wife the way she used to be, and most definetly not able to be the friend she used to be. She could no longer host gatherings or set up outings. If anybody thinks this was easy for her, let me tell you she spent many days and nights in tears because she missed her friends. We want to thank all of her friends that have supported her and made the effort to come and sit on the couch just so that she could have company.
I have watched Jenna wallow in guilt for not holding these babies inside her longer, even though we all know there is nothing more she or anybody could have done. We just really hope and pray that the day will come that we will be able to have all of our children together, in our home.
We are so proud of each one of our babies. They are such fighters, including our little Eva!
For the update on our little ones!
Preston
Preston is doing amazing!!! He seems to be coasting along and we are so glad his little body is getting better. Last week we found out he had a Grade 2 Brain Bleed. Today they did a follow-up ultrasound to see if it had gotten bigger. We were very nervous about this because he had a really large head growth over a period of 24 hours, so we thought his bleed may have gotten worse! Well, we were so happy to see that there was no change at all!!! Yay for Preston! He now weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces, smaller than Dahlia!
Dahlia
Dahlia has been doing fabulous. She had a small Urinary Tract Infection last week but is much better now. We are hoping to get her CPAP by the end of this week! She got to start wearing clothes on Saturday! She looks so adorable! So we made her this little outfit out of a doll clothes pattern! Dahlia is now our biggest baby! She weighs 3 pounds 8 ounces!


Parker
Parker is so handsome! He sure has us wrapped around his little fingers! He tried the CPAP last week but got pretty tired after a day. Then they found out he had a Urinary Tract Infection as well and they think that is the reason he didnt do so well. He started wearing clothes yesterday,but since the RSV scare we have not been able to see this wonderful milestone. Yesterday he weighed 3 pounds 3 ounces (Yay!!) The pic below is our little man on CPAP and the one below that is him back on the vent.
Madelyn
Madelyn is such a little trooper!! There is not to much to report on her. She is still chugging along on the nasal canula. She is still our littlest but man is she a fighter! Yesterday she weighed 2 pounds 13 ounces.
37 comments:
Thanks for the update. I am so sorry to hear Eva has RSV. My daughter was in the NICU (for very minor stuff - I realize that now) but I can't imagine the strain it puts on a family to have 4 babies in the NICU. I'm praying for all of you!
I'm happy to hear that the babies are doing well! I continue to send lots of prayers your way! Even though I don't know you, my heart is full of faith and prayers for your family. I check your blog daily and worry about your little ones as if I know them. What a great honor it must be to know that Heavenly Father chose YOU to be the mother of these precious miracles! Hang in there and keep your faith high! There are lots and lots of prayers going up for you and your family!
Love, the Caldwell Crew
www.caringbridge.org/tx/cadencaldwell
From this NICU mom to you...Dont I know the pain of not being able to go to the NICU. For this I'm so Sorry. It hurts there is no way around it. Call as much as you want for updates on them and it will be a good time to record lots of informtion they give you. I hope that when your daughter is fully clear *hopefully not as long as 2-3 weeks* but you can find your way to the NICU and wear gowns, masks, gloves jut to see them, to touch them. I did it...and I just was so careful, I know it sounds scary but really if you use those precautions and your not the one sick you should be ok. I had to take the chance. A Mommy needs her babies. LIke you I struggled with the loss of not carrying my twins longer. 28 weeks 3 days is how far I got. I know I have ptsd from it all. I think family and friends will forgive you. its not your fault and you had to do what you had to do. bedrest sucks and well...I'm just so darn proud of you for making as far as you did! Because of you, your babies are living....God blesses you all everyday. I loved the update as I always do. I think of you all everyday. So much love from strangers, crazy how I could care so deeply for those little babies but I do! Stay strong you all.
I'm so glad to hear they are all doing well but sad for Eva. That must be so hard to not be able to hold them. We will keep you all in our prayers.
Hang in there and try to stay positive. I know it must be devastating not to be able to be near your tiny babies....We will pray the next three weeks go by quickly and uneventfully. Your babies and the rest of you are in our prayers. This to shall pass...
They are all so gorgeous and precious.
So sorry to hear that you can't hold them for a couple of weeks.
Hope Eva recuperates super quick too.
Thinking of you all.
every time i see a new post I hold my breath and hope everything is going well, the news about not being able to hold your babies must be so hard, I can not imagine how you feel. thanks again for taking the time to share your news with use and take care of each other.
love ya
Carol
Way to go baby Kings!!
As for the RSV, some people just dont understand how terrible it is for the babies. You are doing the right thing by being over cautious.
PROUD OF ALL OF YOU!! Love you!
They are all looking great. they are all still in my prayers.
BabyPower
So sorry about Eva and the RSV--It is a very bad thing. The babies need to be safe, but I am sure it is so hard not to hold them. We are even wearing masks when we hold Kami's babies here at home. (and all we had are the sniffles)I am not sure what friends would make you feel like you described, but being pregnant with quads is HUGE, and that is where your energy needs to go, and of course your Eva. Good luck with the babies, they are so sweet. We think of you all often.
Kami's Mom in Phoenix--Linda
I understand how you are feeling. I am praying she overcomes RSV quickly, but you are taking the right steps in avoiding the babies. I know it is hard, and really can't imagine. My babies were in the NICU for 6 weeks but I didn't miss a day of seeing them. I will pray for you all. This too shall pass, and it is just a safer step you are taking to getting your precious babies home. My girls are 8 months old but they were born at 29 weeks so we are on house arrest until April and have been since November to avoid the RSV scare. Hang in there. Prayers are coming your way from Benton, Arkansas.
Precious babies it just breaks my heart hearing you speak about the NICU, we were just in there for 2 weeks but it felt like an enternity so I cant even imagine how tired you must be I admire your strength. Its hard not being able to hold your babies but soon enough this will all be a distant memory:)
I'm so glad the babies are progressing and I absolutely hate that you can't hold them for 2-3 weeks! I hope Eva gets better soon and I will continue to keep your family in my prayers!
I am so glad things are going well with the babies!! We will continue to pray for them and for Eva to do well.
Thank you for the update! I was needing to read some good news and this really helped. You guys are wonderful examples of faith in the face of adversity. Praying for you always...
I am so sorry that you are all having to deal with this nasty sickness. Just know that these few weeks will be a distant memory soon!
I like how honest you both are..very real and to the heart.
Prayers are still coming for ALL of the Kings!! Hang in there!
Hang in there Jenna. If someone hasn't been put on bedrest they just have NO IDEA how difficult that is on the Mama. Particularly with Eva to care for.
You did a TERRIFIC job for those little ones. Please try not to let any so-called "friends" make you feel guilty about prioritizing your babies over them.
I'm so glad that your little ones are doing so well. They look great and it's clear that they are being well cared for in the NICU. I also had a period of time when I couldn't hold my babies. I couldn't even visit them at the time because I was sick. It was horrible, but it really is the best thing for them. They know you're there and the nurses will be sure to hold them extra long to make up for it.
Again, so glad everyone is doing so well.
-MargieInAZ from FF
must be so hard to not hold those beautiful little babies....so sorry. Good for you all to be strong enough to make the hard decisions for what is best for your babies right now....shows that you are very unselfish and shows just how much you love them already.(of course, who couldn't love little precious babies like those!)
They are so adorable Jenna, keep strong little ones!
Good you caught the RSV though since its so often just an innocent cold for older kiddies and us, hard to avoid your precious babies during it, but of so worth it to avoid them getting sick.
My thoughts and prayers remain with your family.
Tia From FF.. and aunt and second cousin to 4 sets of ID twins & 1 frat set, and first cousin to 3 sets of frats.)
Wow Jenna it sound like your babies are doing well. I am so sorry about Eva, Bennett had RSV and I know how scary it can be for your babies. You must knwo that you are an amazimg mother. It is excrutiating not having your babies at home. But the Lord has a specific plan for each and every one of us and he will give you peace in this time and before long it will be a fond memory. Love you guys
Jason Erika Shelby and Bennett
I am praying for your whole family. My husband and I know exactly what you are going through. Our son had a heart condition right after he was born and was in the NICU. So the past 2 winters we were on strict house arrest because of RSV and Collin had to have very expensive RSV shots to prevent him from getting it. Of course we dealt with one baby, not four babies and a toddler. God Bless your family for staying strong and remaining positive. It will all get better and before you know it you will be chasing these little babies around your house!
Glad to hear all are doing so well. Sorry to hear that you have to wait for a while to hold them, but shows just how much you are willing to sacrafice for their well being. (((hugs)))
Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that I have been reading your blog for a little while now and am praying for you. I am also a NICU Mommy! My daughter was born at only 27 weeks. She spent 11 weeks in the NICU and came home this past October. We have older children as well and there was a time when they were sick and I couldn't go see my daughter for over a week! So I know how terribly hard that is. I wanted to be there to hold her and see all the progress she was making and all the milestones she was hitting but most importantly I wanted her to know I was there for her. But you know what? It hurt me far more than it hurt her! :) She did fine. Right now the most important thing is to keep them healthy. As parents sometimes we have to do what's best for our kids even when it hurts us! I'll be praying for you guys! If you want to read my daughter's story feel free to stop by my blog!
http://diaryofahappywhitewoman-sassy.blogspot.com/
I know exactly how serious RSV is...that is definitely a trial I don't want to repeat. We are praying for you guys. Please call if you want to talk. (The phone was my only means of the outside world for a while.) Good luck to all of you!
Hi, I have been following your blog from the time you delivered. I am an Auntie to quads (Keller quads)I know how scary this road is. This post hit me I am 28 weeks pregnant and last week spent 4 days at Primary childrens with my 20 month old boy with RSV and I am so glad that my baby girl is not born yet because of the rsv. So I can Imagine what how your feeling and I am SO SO sorry! I have been praying for your family and will keep praying!
Hi! I have been keeping up with your blog and felt the need to post a comment. I had twins born at 27 weeks gestation and remember all of the RSV stuff. They got they synagis shots for 2 years and thank the LORD did not end up contracting RSV (most kids get it before they are 2) until they were 4 and 1/2 years old. You wouldn't believe that even at 4 1/2 they both ended up with pneumonia but thankfully were able to fight it off well enough at home and no hospital stay. RSV is a very dangerous virus and I am praying that none of your little ones catch it. Sorry to hear that you cannot hold them but trust me, it's for the best :-) Praying for you and your family!!
Joy
We're still praying for you all up here in Iowa. Thanks for the update. You are such a good friend and I'm sure that you're an even better Mommy! Love ya girlie! :-)
Thanks for the update! Your're all in our thoughts and prayers here in Iowa as you have been from the start. You are such a good friend Jenna and I'm sure that you're an even better Mommy! Love you girlie! :-)
Thanks for the update! Your're all in our thoughts and prayers here in Iowa as you have been from the start. You are such a good friend Jenna and I'm sure that you're an even better Mommy! Love you girlie! :-)
ooops... sorry for the double post... must be having a bit iof a brain tootie today.
I'm sorry about everything going on with the babies and all! I wish we could make it lighter for yall. Call of us if you need anything. Love ya.
Jenna and Trever,
I am so sorry to hear about Eva. I know it must be so hard not come come visit and hold the babies. As you know, they are in great hands and such strong little fighters, each and every one of them. I am so proud of how far they have come. I try and take a good pic of each of them with the disposable cameras that they have at their bedside when you guys cant be there. This will pass and someday this will be a very distant memory when you have your big happy family at home!! Take Care! I will pray for you all.
Amy
They are getting bigger! that's awesome. I am sorry Eva has RSV. That stinks. I completly understand you. My babies were in the NICU and there was no such thing as an outside world. I feel for her. I really do. I got to hold my babies, but the guilt of not being able to bring them home with you is unbelievable.
Sorry Eva has RSV! Let me know if you need to borrow my nebulizer or anything.
Thanks for the update Trev, I'm sure that is extremely disappointing for you guys. You are in our prayers and we look forward to more good news.
poor eva! RSV is so yucky....i can't imagine how hard it is not to hold your babies. i am so sorry!! hang in there lil mama!
I can only imagine what it must be like to see your babies like that! Every time I return to your blog, I keep my fingers crossed that I will only be reading good news! I am relieved to hear that they keep getting stronger and they have already started to change with the more weight they put on! I hope that the next few weeks fly by so that they can be reunited with their caring and brave parents! Take care!
Post a Comment