Thursday, February 25, 2010
Preston's Scary Day
Yes this picture is Preston asleep on his Daddy's chest in an ER room at Dell Children's....
Here is the scary story:
So my friend Julie and her son Jaxon came over yesterday morning to play around 11:30. We just sat Eva and jaxon down to eat lunch and I went upstairs to get the babies and bring them down to eat as well. I went into the boys room. Parker was standing in his crib like always, ready to get out and play. I immediately got alarmed because usually Preston does this too. So I said "Hey boys" to wake Preston up, and I still got nothing. My heart dropped, as this never happened, I just knew something was wrong. I walked over to his crib and heard him moaning. My immediate impression was that he was stuck in his crib. I scooped him up and ran out to the game room to see him in the light. I was horrified to say the least! His whole right side of his head and face was swollen and droopy, he was like a noodle, and his lips were quivering despite it not being cold and him being in a very warm sleeper.
I screamed for my friend and the panic started. I finally composed myself enough to get my shoes on. My friend Julie immediately stepped into mommy mode and got the rest of my kids fed so I didnt have to worry. I walked outside with Preston in his carseat ready to take him to the ER and I saw my neighbors home and thought to call her to come help. Nan and Pop were on there way too. I wasnt able to get ahold of Trever yet but he called as I was driving and Melonie rushed to my home to help with the kids and Trever was going to meet me at the hospital. Honestly, Preston looked so bad and was so lethargic I was really afraid he wasnt going to make it to the hospital.
So I pulled over. I knew it was not safe for me to drive with how panicked I was and I just wanted to help Preston. So I pulled over in an apartment complex and called 911. The cops, fire dept, and ambulance were all there within 5 minutes. As we rode in the ambulance to the hospital Preston was already starting to be responsive, his heart rate dropped from 160 down to the 130s and he was starting to play with a little toy ambulance truck. Trever had met us at the apartment complex and followed us to the hospital. As soon as we got settled into our room Preston was acting near to normal. He had a red spot on the side of his head and his right eye was still a little swollen, but he wanted to get down to play and he wanted to eat. When the doctor came, she said she wanted to do bloodwork to make sure he didnt have an infection and she said that she may want to do a CT to check for brain bleeds. She pretty much ruled out the brain bleed idea because she said he only would have gotten worse and not better in that short amount of time. His blood work all came back negative.
So this is what she thinks happened. He must have hit his head in his crib. Then, because of the pain either passed out, had a small seizure, or went into shock. I must have walked in right after it happened when he was coming out of it....
So after 6 or 7 hours we came home. Everything is good now, despite the whirlwind of a day yesterday. Hopefully today will be very uneventful. Thank you to our friends and family for everything you did yesterday! You all are so amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Jenna, oh my gosh. How scary. I'm so glad he is ok and glad that Julie was there so you could just take care of the little guy. Please, please know that you can call me anytime, I know I'm not super close but I would do whatever I could.
Oh, how scary!!! So glad everything is okay and you had so many people come to your rescue!!!
Oh man....that was one scary event Jenna! So glad baby Preston is ok..poor sugar. That is just crazy to think he hit his head that hard in his crib. Sweet Darlin'.
Thank God for the wonderful friends and helpful hands you have. Sure wish I was closer, I would be obliged to help out as well.
how scary, jenna! i'm so glad he is okay!!! miss you & those cute kiddos of yours!
Oh my goodness...how scary.
I'm so glad to hear everything is ok now.
I'm so glad a friend was there to help you while you were there for Preston.
I will say an extra prayer that it was just a fluke and wont ever happen again!
So scary! So glad he is feeling better now!
Oh Jenna I am so glad that Preston is okay. What a scary thing to have to go through.
I'm so glad hes doing fine! Thank goodness for a great family to help out and drop everything to be there!
Jenna, you guys are constantly in our prayers. I am glad he is ok.
Sooo glad everyone ended up ok!! && that picture of trever and preston is adorable!! love ya! -Aunt Britt
How scary. My heart was sinking futher and further as I was reading the story. I can't imagine being in your shoes. I am SO GLAD everything is okay. We will still keep him in our prayers. I will pray for you too, for comfort and peace. We love ya'll.
Post a Comment