Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Chaos That I Love


Last week was a really hard week for us. Dahlia was admitted into the hospital with pnuemonia. It all started on a Wednesday when Dahlia very first woke up, she threw up. She kinda was choking while throwing up but then she acted fine for the rest of the day. My kids all kind of have a week stomach (they get that from their dad) so I didnt think too much of it. Friday she started coughing and running a fever. She didnt have very much energy and just wanted to lay around all weekend long. We were able to keep her fever low and we were just thinking that maybe she had a flu bug. On Monday, she literally would not get up off of the couch and she didnt even want to walk.. Liana also began running a low grade fever with a cough so I told Trever I would take them both in to the after hours care when he got home from work.
I took them that evening and both had ear infections. They hooked Liana and Dahlia up to an oxygen saturation monitor. Liana was doing fine but the doctor thought she had RSV. Dahlia was not good at all. She was satting at 80! As you are reading this, you are most likely satting at 100. Doctors do not like to see anything below 95 for a normal healthy person. When the nurse saw this, she ran out of the room to grab the doctor. Without doing an actual swab, she diagnosed Dahlia with RSV as well. They hooked her up to oxygen machines and they rushed Dahlia in an ambulance to Dell Childrens.
When we got to the hospital, they did the actual test for RSV and it came up negative. But xrays showed her lungs were completely filled with fluid and diagnosed her with pnuemonia!!! They were very very worried and they admitted her into intermediate care (very serious). Long story short we were there for 3 days trying to delicately balance keeping Dahlia hydrated without overloading her with more fluid, getting the fluid out of her lungs, and also making sure all of this increased fluid wasnt putting more stress on her heart (remember she has a hole in her heart)
It was very very scary. We had a ton of friends and family covering the kiddos at home so that Trever or I could stay with Dahlia the whole time in the hospital. The children had a really hard time with Dahlia being away in the hospital and they were all very very worried about her. It was a really trying 3 days and poor Dahlia was really ready to be out of there... She finally was able to keep her oxygen saturations up on the 3rd day and was able to come home! Honestly, I thought we were going to be in there alot longer as her lungs looked terrible.
What all of this made me realize is that my day to day life is chaotic. Very very chaotic. 6 kids 4 and under is really really hard. There are very few minutes in the day for Trever and I just to sit. We spend all of our spare time cleaning. After this past week I realized that I really do love my chaos! By not being with my children at home, or my husband, or the thought of being without Dahlia made me realize that the chaos I live with is what defines me, its what I love and what keeps me going each and every day! I love each one of my kids so much and I feel so blessed for each and every one of their precious lives! My life is a daily challenge, one that I feel so proud I am able to accomplish each day!
Thank you for all the prayers we recieved for our children! I know they truly would not be here if they hadnt been blessed by those who have been praying for them!!
Eva was really really worried about Dahlia and had a really hard time at preschool. Her teacher sent this picture to us that Eva made:
Here is Dahlia getting ready to leave her room! She was sooooo excited to go home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brought me to tears. You are such an amazing mom and have such beautiful babies! I really feel blessed to be a part of your lives!
Love you!